You are checking a tour that begins in Uyuni. If you want to see tours that begin in San Pedro de Atacama, click here.
2 nights of accommodation in hotel:
- Group of 1 person: US$ 1,552 per person.
- Group of 2 people: US$ 926 per person.
- Group of 3 people: US$ 719 per person.
- Group of 4 people: US$ 583 per person.
- Group of 5 people: US$ 565 per person.
- Group of 6 people: US$ 500 per person.
2 nights of accommodation in hostel:
- Group of 1 person: US$ 1,197 per person.
- Group of 2 people: US$ 709 per person.
- Group of 3 people: US$ 559 per person.
- Group of 4 people: US$ 473 per person.
- Group of 5 people: US$ 442 per person.
- Group of 6 people: US$ 404 per person.
*The option with 2 nights of accommodation in hostel has shared transport only in the route covered in Chile.
*Rates valid for departures from January 1 to December 31, 2017.
*Despite the 4x4 vehicle has space for 6 passengers plus the guide, the last seat of the vehicle is narrow, so, in case you want comfort for all the passengers, our suggestion is to make the tour in two groups of 3 people each (two separated bookings).
How to book
- Select the departure date from the calendar.
- Select the number of peple.
- Click on "Add to cart".
- Pay online an advance of the total price.
- Once payed, the booking is subjected to confirmation according to the availability. If you want to check the availability before paying, write us to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You can reschedule or cancel the tour (with 100% refund), until 31 days before it starts.
- Hotel pick-up in Uyuni.
- Private transportation (4x4).
- Spanish speaking driver-guide.
- All meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
Superior accommodation in 3-star hotels, all with private rooms (single, double or triple depending on availability), heating and private bathroom (shower with hot water).
- In case you choose the accommodation option with hostel, the rooms are private and may be double or with ween-size bed (subject to availability), with private bathroom (showers with hot water):
- 1st night at Salt Hostel in Villa Martín.
- 2nd night at Hostel in Villa Mar.
- Border tax (15 bolivianos per person).
- Beverages in hotel meals.
- Towels, heating in the rooms and internet access (accommodation in hostels).
- Entrances to parks (186 bolivianos per person).
- Entrance to Eduardo Avaroa Andean Fauna National Reserve (150 bolivianos per person).
- Entrance to Polques Hot Springs (6 bolivianos per person).
- Entrance to Incahuasi Island (30 bolivianos per person).
- Access to toilets on the way (approximately 6 bolivianos each acces).
What to bring
- Comfortable and warm clothing.
- Comfortable shoes (ideally trekking shoes).
- Swimsuit and towel (for Polques Hot Springs).
- Water (1 litre per person, per day).
- Passport or ID card.
- 300 bolivianos for expenses not included in the tour.
- Minimum age required of 7 years old.
- Not recommended for people older than 65 years old.
- Not allowed for pregnant women.
Beginning: Day 1 at 7:30 am at your hotel in Uyuni.
End: Day 3 at 4:00 pm at your hotel in San Pedro de Atacama.
Day 1: We will leave the town of Uyuni at 7:30 am towards the Uyuni Salt Flat. We will visit the Train Cemetery, the town of Colchani and the salt museum. Also, we will pass by the salt mines and the salt eyes. We will go on our way until we reach the Incahuasi Island, in the center of the salt flat. We will make a 30 minutes’ walk by this limestone formation, where we will be able to see cacti and have spectacular views of the salt flat. During the afternoon, we will get to the Hotel de Sal or the Hotel de Piedra or in a salt hostel in Villa Martín for resting.
Day 2: In the morning, with the first lights on the salt flat, we will go to the necropolis museum that has vestiges of the Aymara culture. Also, we will pass by the Anaconda Canyon and the Negra, Hedionda and Honda lagoons, before reaching the place where we will rest: the Hotel Tayka del Desierto or a hostel in Villa Mar.
Day 3: Our last day of tour will begin with the visit to the Siloli Desert, where we will see the Stone Tree. Also, we will pass by the Colorada Lagoon, nesting place of more than 30,000 flamingos. Our next stop will be the Sol de Mañana Geysers, intermittent sources of water that flow at a 90°C temperature. The route will take us by the Salvador Dalí Desert and the Blanca and Verde lagoons, in the foothills of the Licancabur Volcano, before taking the road towards San Pedro de Atacama, getting there at 4:00 pm.
- What days of the week the tour is available?
As it is a private service, it is possible begin the tour any day of the week, every month of the year.
- How much time in advance should I book the tour?
Because of the hotel high demand in the area, we recommend you to book at least one or two months in advance.
It is necessary to have tourist visa to enter Bolivia?
It depends on the passenger’s nationality. Passengers from Chile and the rest of South America, and passengers from Western Europe do not need tourist visa, while the passengers from United States, Central America, Asia and Africa do need tourist visa, which price is US$ 100 or US$ 160 according to the country (you can check the price per country here). The visa is obtained directly in the border, where along with the payment of the visa in cash (bolivianos or US dollars in good condition), the passengers will have to present their passport and two wallet-size photographs. In case you are a foreign person resident in Chile, besides your passport, you should take your ID card, so you can prove your residence before the police authorities in customs.
- Do I need to be vaccinated against yellow fever for the tour?
The vaccine against yellow fiebe is not required for the tour to the Uyuni Salt Flat. It is only required if you subsequently plan to visit the Bolivian jungle.
- What kind of car is used to do the tour?
The tour is made on a minibus in Chile and on a 4x4 (Toyota Land Cruiser) in Bolivia.
How is the infrastructure of every program?
The program with hotels has a similar level of structure for every accommodation. The rooms are private, single, double or triple, according to the availability, all have heating and private bathroom with warm water. The hostels, on the other hand, have double private rooms, with twin beds or queen size bed, according to availability, no heating and private bathroom with hot water. There is no internet access.
- How many bags or suitcases can I bring??
Each passenger may carry at most 1 bag or suitcase of 18 kilos and which will go above the 4x4.
- Why is it necessary to bring a sleeping bag?
The beds in Refugio Huayllajara (accommodation of the first night) do not include sheets, only include blankets and bedspread. If you don´t have sleeping bag, you can rent one directly in San Pedro de Atacama, the day before the tour. The rent has a price of CLP$ 5.000 per person, for the 4-day tour.
- How is the weather along the tour?
In summer (December to March), the temperature ranges from about 4 °C as a minimum, to 23 °C maximum. In winter (June to September) the temperature ranges from about -20 °C as a minimum, to 16 °C maximum.
- How much money should I bring to the tour?
We recommend to bring 300 bolivianos per person for expenses not included in the tour, as entrances to parks (186 bolivianos per person), access to toilets and buying of souvenirs.
- How likely is suffer "puna" or altitude sickness during the tour?
The most of the tour is made above 4,000 meters high, so it is quite likely to suffer "puna", especially the first day of the tour. We invite you to read our tips to avoid it in our article El mal de altura: Causas, Síntomas y Consejos.
- What is it about the meals?
The meals are varied, and includes tea, coffee, bread, cookies and fruit for breakfast, and meat, pasta, rice, soup and vegetables for lunch and dinner. In case you need a vegetarian menu, you must ask for it writing at email@example.com at the moment you make the online booking.
- What about the tour in case it rains?
When it rains, the access to the salt flat is hampered and Incahuasi Island (located in the middle of Uyuni Salt Flat) remains closed. So we will not visit Incahuasi Island, and will enter the salt flat only up to a distance that does not mean a danger to the passengers.
- When is it possible to see the mirror effect on the Uyuni Salt Flat?
The mirror effect occurs when there is water on the salt flat. This happens only in rainy periods (January and February) and after them (March).
- Is it possible to do the tour in another language?
Yes. The English-speaking guide service for the whole tour, has an additional cost of US$ 225 per group, and the French or German-speaking guide, of US$ 270 per group, and can be added by the moment of booking as an optional service.