This tour starts and ends in San Pedro de Atacama. If you want to start in San Pedro de Atacama and finish in Uyuni, plase check our tour Salar de Uyuni Tour (3 days).
This tour includes basic accommodation. If you want to do the tour with superior accommodation plase check our tour Salar de Uyuni Private Tour with Hotels (4 days).
Price per person: CLP$ 150.000
(flat price, valid for departures from January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017).
How to book
- Select the departure date from the calendar.
- Select the number of peple.
- Click on "Add to cart".
- Pay online an advance of CLP$ 25.000 per person.
- The pending balance must be paid in cash (Chilean pesos) the previous day of the tour before 2:00 pm, in San Pedro de Atacama.
- You can reschedule or cancel the tour (with 100% refund), until 48 hours before it starts.
Hotel pick-up in San Pedro de Atacama.
Shared transportation (minibus in Chile and 4x4 in Bolivia).
Spanish speaking driver-guide.
All meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
- Sleeping bag (in case that the traveller doen's have one).
- 1st night at Refugio Huayllajara, in shared room with shared bathroom (without showers).
- 2nd night at Hostal de Sal San Juan de Rosario, in shared room between 4 and 6 people, with shared bathroom (showers with hot water).
- 3rd night at Hostal Villa Mar, in shared room (double, twin or triple, subject to availability) with shared bathroom (showers with cold water. For having hot water, it must be payed a Bs. 10 extra per person).
- Border tax (15 bolivianos per person).
- Entrances to parks (186 bolivianos per person).
- Entrance to Eduardo Avaroa Andean Fauna National Reserve (150 bolivianos per person).
- Entrance to Polques Hot Springs (6 bolivianos per person).
- Entrance to Incahuasi Island (30 bolivianos per person).
- Access to toilets on the way (approximately 6 bolivianos each acces).
What to bring
- Comfortable and warm clothing.
- Comfortable shoes (ideally trekking shoes).
- Swimsuit and towel (for Polques Hot Springs).
- Water (1 litre per person, per day).
- Sleeping bag.
- Passport or DNI.
- 300 bolivianos for expenses not included in the tour.
- Not suitable for children under 7 years old nor people over 65 years old.
- Not suitable for people with problems to the altitude.
Beginning: Day 1 at 7:30 am in your hotel in San Pedro de Atacama.
End: Day 4 at 12:30 pm in your hotel in San Pedro de Atacama.
Day 1: At 7:30 am we will leave San Pedro de Atacama by minibus to the border of Bolivia, through the immigration of Chile and Bolivia. Once at the border, we will change the vehicle to a 4x4. On this first day, we will visit places of the Bolivian altiplano such as White Lagoon and Green Lagoon, located at the foot of the Licancabur Volcano. We will visit the Salvador Dalí Desert, the Polques Hot Springs (time for bath) and the Sol de Mañana Geysers, intermittent sources of water that flow at a temperature of 90 ° C. We will end the day at Red Lagoon, nesting center of more than 30,000 flamingos. The accomodation will be in the Refugio Huayllajara.
Day 2: At 8:00 am we will go to the Siloli Desert, where we will observe the Stone Tree, a rock of volcanic origin with the form of a tree. Later, we will visit the Chiarcota, Honda, Hedionda and Cañapa Lagoons, continuing through the Salt Flat of Chiguana and San Juan del Rosario village. The accomodation will be in the Hostal de Sal San Juan de Rosario.
Day 3: At 5:00 am we will go to see the sunrise at the Salt Flat of Uyuni. We will visit the Incahuasi Island, a limestone formation located in the center of the salar. Later, we will visit Ojos del Salar, Salt Mine, Museum of Salt, the Train Cemetery and Colchani village, arriving at 2:00 pm to Uyuni town, where we will rest 2 hours (free time). Later, we will go to Villa Mar village, arriving at 6:00 pm. The accomodation will be in the Hostal Villa Mar.
Day 4: At 5:00 am we will leave Villa Mar village to the border of Bolivia, in a 4 hours trip. Once at the border, we will change the vehicle to a minibus, to return to San Pedro de Atacama at 12:30 pm.
- Does the tour has daily departures?
Yes. The tour has confirmed departures all days of the week, the whole year.
- How much time in advance should I book the tour?
Due to high demand of the tour, we recommend to book at least a week in advance.
- Is it necessary to have a tourist visa to enter Bolivia?
Only passengers from the United States, Central America, Asia and Africa must pay a tourist visa to enter Bolivia. The price will vary according to the nationality of the passenger (ask for prices at firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Do I need to be vaccinated against yellow fever for the tour?
The vaccine against yellow fiebe is not required for the tour to the Uyuni Salt Flat. It is only required if you subsequently plan to visit the Bolivian jungle.
- What kind of car is used to do the tour?
The tour is made on a minibus in Chile and on a 4x4 (Toyota Land Cruiser) in Bolivia in a group of 6 people each.
- How many bags or suitcases can I bring??
Each passenger may carry at most 1 bag or suitcase of 18 kilos and one sleeping bag, which will go above the 4x4.
- How is the weather along the tour?
In summer (December to March), the temperature ranges from about 4 °C as a minimum, to 23 °C maximum. In winter (June to September) the temperature ranges from about -20 °C as a minimum, to 16 °C maximum.
- How much money should I bring to the tour?
We recommend to bring 300 bolivianos per person for expenses not included in the tour, as entrances to parks (186 bolivianos per person), border tax (15 bolivianos per person), access to toilets and buying of souvenirs.
- How likely is suffer "puna" or altitude sickness during the tour?
The most of the tour is made above 4,000 meters high, so it is quite likely to suffer "puna", especially the first day of the tour. We invite you to read our tips to avoid it in our article El mal de altura: Causas, Síntomas y Consejos.
- What is it about the meals?
The meals are varied, and includes tea, coffee, bread, cookies and fruit for breakfast, and meat, pasta, rice, soup and vegetables for lunch and dinner. There are not special menus for vegetarians or people with some kind of food restriction.
- What about the tour in case it rains?
When it rains, the access to the salt flat is hampered and Incahuasi Island (located in the middle of Uyuni Salt Flat) remains closed. So we will not visit Incahuasi Island, and will enter the salt flat only up to a distance that does not mean a danger to the passengers.
- When is it possible to see the mirror effect on the Uyuni Salt Flat?
The mirror effect occurs when there is water on the salt flat. This happens only in rainy periods (January and February) and after them (March).
- Is it possible to do the tour in private service?
Yes. To request rates, write to email@example.com, indicating departure date and number of people.
- Is it possible to do the tour staying in hotels instead of refugios and hostels?
If you want to do the tour with superior accommodation plase check our tour Salar de Uyuni Private Tour with Hotels (4 days).
- Is it possible to do the tour with an english-speaking guide?
Yes. The english-speaking guide service for the whole tour, has an additional cost of US$ 240 per group, and is paid directly in San Pedro de Atacama, the day before the tour, previous notice to firstname.lastname@example.org.