You are checking a tour that begins in Uyuni. If you want to see tours that begin in San Pedro de Atacama, click here.
- High season price per person, from December 1 to April 30: US$ 185.
- Low season price per person, from May 1 to November 30: US$ 155.
How to book
- Select the departure date from the calendar.
- Select the number of peple.
- Click on "Add to cart".
- Pay online an advance of CLP$ 20.000 per person.
- Once payment is made, the reservation is automatically confirmed. The remaining balance is paid in Uyuni only in cash, the day before the departure of the tour.
- You can reschedule or cancel the tour (with 100% refund), until 48 hours before it starts.
- Shared transportation (4x4 for 6 people in Bolivia and minibus in Chile).
- Spanish speaking driver-guide.
- All meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
- 1st night at Hostal de Sal San Juan de Rosario, in double room, with shared bathroom (showers with hot water).
- 2nd night at Refugio Huayllajara, in shared room with shared bathroom (without showers).
- Hotel pick-up in Uyuni.
- Sleeping bag.
- Border tax (15 bolivianos per person).
- Entrances to parks (186 bolivianos per person).
- Entrance to Eduardo Avaroa Andean Fauna National Reserve (150 bolivianos per person).
- Entrance to Polques Hot Springs (6 bolivianos per person).
- Entrance to Incahuasi Island (30 bolivianos per person).
- Access to toilets on the way (approximately 6 bolivianos each acces).
What to bring
- Comfortable and warm clothing.
- Comfortable shoes (ideally trekking shoes).
- Swimsuit and towel (for Polques Hot Springs).
- Sleeping bag (see FAQ's).
- Water (1 litre per person, per day).
- Passport or ID card. If your a foreigner resident in Chile you should take both to show them in customs.
- 300 bolivianos for expenses not included in the tour.
- Minimum age required of 7 years old.
- Not recommended for people older than 65 years old.
- Not allowed for pregnant women.
Beginning: Day 1 at 10:00 am in Uyuni center
End: Day 3 at 12:30 pm in your hotel in San Pedro de Atacama.
Day 1: At 10:00 am we will go out in a 4x4 for 6 people vehicle from the center of Uyuni to the Uyuni Salt Flat. We will visit the Train Cemetery, Colchani Town, the Salt Museum, Ojos del salar and the Incahuasi Island, a limestone rock formation located at the center of the salt flat. The day will end watching the sunset in the salt flat. We will stay in the Hostal de Sal San Juan de Rosario.
Day 2: At 08:00 am we will go out to visit the San Juan del Rosario Town, the Chiguana Salt Flat, Chiarcota, Honda, Hedionda and Cañapa Lagoons, and the Siloli Desert, place where we will watch the Stone Tree, a volcanic origin rock with the form of a tree. The day will end in the Red Lagoon, place of nesting for more than 30,000 flamingos. We will stay in the Refugio Huayllajara.
Day 3: At 05:00 we will go out to watch the sunrise in the Sol de Mañana Geysers, intermittent water sources that rise at a 90 °C temperature, the Polques Hot Springs (time to take a bath), the Salvador Dalí Desert, and the Green and White Lagoons, located at the foot of the Licancabur Volcano. Once in the border with Chile, we will change the vehicle to a minibus, reaching San Pedro de Atacama at 12:30 pm.
*This itinerary is subject to change in case of rain during the Altiplanic winter (January to March), maybe changing the order of the places visited and/or the accommodation places included, always maintaining the level and conditions of these.
- Does the tour has daily departures?
Yes. The tour has confirmed departures all days of the week, the whole year.
- How much time in advance should I book the tour?
Due to high demand of the tour, we recommend to book at least a week in advance.
What documents do I need to cross the border into Chile?
In case you come from Argentina, Brazil, Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Uruguay, Paraguay or Peru, you should present only your ID card or some equivalent document. If you come from some country which Chile has no diplomatic relations, you should show a Visitor Visa with the previous authorization of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. On the other hand, if you are a foreign person resident in Chile, besides your passport, you should take your ID card, so you can prove your residence before the police authorities in customs.
- Do I need to be vaccinated against yellow fever for the tour?
The vaccine against yellow fiebe is not required for the tour to the Uyuni Salt Flat. It is only required if you subsequently plan to visit the Bolivian jungle.
- What kind of car is used to do the tour?
The tour is made on a minibus in Chile and on a 4x4 (Toyota Land Cruiser) in Bolivia in a group of 6 people each.
- How many bags or suitcases can I bring??
Each passenger may carry at most 1 bag or suitcase of 18 kilos and one sleeping bag, which will go above the 4x4.
It is necessary to bring sleeping bag?
Yes, a sleeping bag with a comfort temperature of 0°C. The beds in the accommodation the second night (Refugio Huayllajara) do not have sheets; only blankets and bedspread. We can lend you one, but you should ask for it directly in the accommodation of the second night.
- How is the weather along the tour?
In summer (December to March), the temperature ranges from about 4 °C as a minimum, to 23 °C maximum. In winter (June to September) the temperature ranges from about -20 °C as a minimum, to 16 °C maximum.
- How much money should I bring to the tour?
We recommend to bring 300 bolivianos per person for expenses not included in the tour, as entrances to parks (186 bolivianos per person), access to toilets and buying of souvenirs.
- How likely is suffer "puna" or altitude sickness during the tour?
The most of the tour is made above 4,000 meters high, so it is quite likely to suffer "puna", especially the first day of the tour. We invite you to read our tips to avoid it in our article El mal de altura: Causas, Síntomas y Consejos.
- What is it about the meals?
The meals are varied, and includes tea, coffee, bread, cookies and fruit for breakfast, and meat, pasta, rice, soup and vegetables for lunch and dinner. In case you need a vegetarian menu, you must ask for it writing at email@example.com at the moment you make the online booking.
- What about the tour in case of rains?
In case of rain, the order of the places visited and the accommodation places are subject to change, because some of the roads might be closed. Added to the previous information, water in the Uyuni Salt Flat is an important obstacle and the Incahuasi Island (located in the center of the salt flat) remains closed. This means the Incahuasi Island cannot be visited and we enter to the salt flat only for a certain distance, so the passengers are safe.
- When is it possible to see the mirror effect on the Uyuni Salt Flat?
The mirror effect occurs when there is water on the salt flat. This happens only in rainy periods (January and February) and after them (March).
- Is it possible to do the tour in private service?
Yes. To request rates, write to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating departure date and number of people.
- Is it possible to do the tour staying in hotels instead of refugios and hostels?
If you want to do the tour with superior accommodation plase check our tour Salar de Uyuni Private Tour with Hotels (3 days).
- Is it possible to do the tour with an english-speaking guide?
Yes. The English-speaking guide service for the whole tour has an additional cost of US$ 189 per group that must be paid together with booking, after asking for availability at email@example.com.