- Price per person:
- CLP$ 63.000 per person.
- 6:30 am to 12:00 pm and 10:30 am to 4:00 pm.
- 5 hours and a half.
- Shared transport, navigation, bilingual guide (Spanish and English) and entry ticket to park.
- Meeting Point:
- José Nogueira 1255, Punta Arenas.
- What to bring:
- Warm clothing.
- Weather :
- Subject to weather conditions.
- Cancellation and rescheduling policy :
- 7 days.
This half-day tour begins early in the morning in Punta Arena's downtown, from where we will go by vehicle to a pier. Here, we will board the vessel that will take us to the Los Pingüinos Natural Monument, protected wild area formed by Marta Island and Magdalena Island. First, we will navigate around Marta Island, where we will be able to watch, from the vessel's deck, a 2,000 sea lions colony.
Then, we will disembark in Magdalena Island, where we will be for about one hour. There, we will walk by a track of 800 m long, until reaching an old lighthouse, from where we will enjoy a spectacular view of the Strait of Magellan. During the whole walking, we will be able to see between 100,000 and 170,000 Magellan penguins. Finally, we will board our vessel to return to the pier, reaching Punta Arenas by midday.
*The order of the places that you will visit is subject to change the same day of the excursion.
- In what period of the year the navigation is made?
The Magellan penguins are migratory birds and are in the island from the beginning of October to the beginning of April, period in which the navigation is made.
- Which time of the year is it possible to see a bigger number of penguins?
The larger number of penguins is seen in December and January, months in which the colony is formed by about 170,000 specimens.
- How far can I see the penguins during the walking in the Magdalena Island?
The penguin colony in the island is big. As this is a small island, it is possible to see penguins with a less than a meter distance during the walking. It is common that the penguins enter to the track while you are walking. However, it is strictly forbidden touching the birds.
- What type of boat is used for the navigation?
The navigation is made in Zodiac boats. We have three boats of different sizes, with capacity for 20, 36 and 67 passengers, respectively. The boat used for a particular tour will depend on how big is the group.
More doubts? Send us your questions at firstname.lastname@example.org and we are going to solve them as soon as possible.