Lake Sandoval (3 days)
If you cancel your booking until 24 hours before the beginning of the activity, we will refund 100% of the advance you paid for the booking.
You can reschedule your booking without any additional cost until 24 hours before the beginning of the activiity.
Visit the lake area of the Tambopata National Reserve. Boat ride, lodging, and meals included.
- Lake Sandoval Tour (3 days): S/ 599 per person.
- Round-trip transport from hotel, airport, or bus terminal.
- Round-trip boat ride to Sandoval Lodge.
- Accommodations in Lodge Monte Amazónico Sandoval.
- Private room with private bathroom.
- Breakfast (except on the first day).
- Lunch (except on the last day).
- Dinner (except on the last day).
- Bilingual guide (Spanish and English).
- Drinks at the bar.
- Travel insurance.
- Health coverage.
- Entrance fee to Tambopata National Reserve (US$ 15 per person).
- Tips (optional).
How to Book
- Select the departure date from the calendar.
- Select the number of people.
- Click on "Add to cart".
- Pay the full price of the tour online.
What to Bring
- 30-liter backpack to carry only what is necessary for the 3-day trip.
- Comfortable clothes.
- Long pants.
- Long-sleeved shirts.
- Hiking shoes.
- Hat to protect against the sun.
- Insect repellent.
- Personal hygiene items.
- Ziploc bags or similar (to wrap up your clothes and prevent them from getting wet if it rains).
- Extra money for expenses not included in the tour.
Start: at 9:00 am at your hotel, airport, or bus terminal at Puerto Maldonado.
End: at 10:00 pm in downtown Puerto Maldonado.
Day 1: Puerto Maldonado – Monte Amazónico Sandoval – Monkey Island. After registration, we will go to Puerto Capitanía, where we will board our boat to sail for one hour to the Monte Amazónico Sandoval Lodge, our lodging for the night. After a welcome, we will get settled into our respective rooms and we will have some time to rest.
Next, we will do a 2-hour hike through the tropical forest, where our guide will give us an introduction to the Peruvian Amazon. We will hike the trails where we will behold large trees that are as old as 500 years, as well as different animals and insects. Afterwards, we will go back to the lodge to have lunch and rest.
In the afternoon, we will visit Monkey Island, which is located across from the lodge on the other side of the Madre de Dios River. We will find different species here, such as the Capuchin monkeys. Next, we will return to the lodge, and from here we will be able to take a nighttime trip to search for white caimans, which are usually found on the sand banks that form in the river. We will also be able to see capybaras, the largest rodent in the world. At the end of this outing, we will go back to the lodge to have dinner and sleep.
Day 2: Lake Sandoval – Nighttime Hike. We will get up early to eat breakfast and get ready for a 3-kilometer hike to Lake Sandoval. This lake, one of the largest in the Tambopata National Reserve, is a natural habitat for piranhas. Here we will take a trip in a paddle boat, where we will be able to see a large number of birds and monkeys of different species. If we are lucky, we will be able to see a giant otter, which, unfortunately, is an endangered species, as well as caimans.
After relaxing in the afternoon, and after dusk, we will take a hike to see the diversity of insects, amphibians, reptiles, and other animals that are nocturnal. Then, we will eat dinner and we will rest up for the next day.
Day 3: Canopy Hike – Return to Puerto Maldonado. We will get up early to take a short hike through a canopy installed at a height of 30 meters (90 feet). We will get a panoramic view from here of the reserve, and another view of the animals that inhabit the reserve. We will also take stops on the different platforms installed to observe birds, such as toucans and macaws.
Afterwards, we will return to the lodge to eat breakfast and start the return trip to the city of Puerto Maldonado to end the tour.