Chuncho Macaw Clay Lick & Lake Sandoval (3 days)
If you cancel your booking until 24 hours before the beginning of the activity, we will refund 100% of the advance you paid for the booking.
You can reschedule your booking without any additional cost until 24 hours before the beginning of the activiity.
Take this 3-day tour and visit the best of both tourist areas in Tambopata from Puerto Maldonado. Transport and meals included.
- Macaw Clay Lick & Lake Sandoval tour (3 days): S/ 1,199 per person.
- Round-trip from your accommodation in Puerto Maldonado.
- Round-trip boat ride to Collpa Chuncho Lodge.
- Round-trip boat ride to Sandoval Lodge.
- Lodging in prvivate room with private bath:
- First night at Monte Amazónico Collpa Chuncho Lodge.
- Second night in Monte Amazónico Sandoval Lodge.
- Breakfast (except on the first day).
- Lunch (except on the last day).
- Dinner (except on the last day).
- Bilingual guide (Spanish and English).
- Drinks at the bar.
- Travel insurance.
- Health coverage.
- Tips (optional).
- Entrance fee to Tambopata National Reserve (US$ 15 per person).
- Entrance fee to Collpa Chuncho (US$ 24 per person).
How to Book
- Select the departure date from the calendar.
- Select the number of people.
- Click on "Add to cart".
- Pay the full price of the tour online.
What to Bring
- 30-liter backpack to carry only what is necessary for the 3-day trip.
- Comfortable clothes.
- Long pants.
- Long-sleeved shirts.
- Hiking shoes.
- Hat to protect against the sun.
- Insect repellent.
- Personal hygiene items.
- Ziploc bags or similar (to wrap up your clothes and prevent them from getting wet if it rains).
- Extra money for expenses not included in the tour.
Start: at 9:00 am at your hotel, airport, or bus terminal in Puerto Maldonado.
End: at 7:00 pm in downtown Puerto Maldonado.
Day 1: Puerto Maldonado – Monte Amazónico Collpa Chuncho Lodge. We will embark upon this adventure on a 2-hour trip in a 4x4 vehicle to the Tambopata River. We will cross the river in our boat to reach the Monte Amazónico Collpa Chuncho Lodge, where we will be given a brief welcome and we will get settled into our rooms.
After lunch, in the afternoon, we will take an introductory hike into the jungle, where we will get our first up-close look at different animals. Then at night, we will eat dinner and we will be able to rest up for the next day.
Day 2: Macaw Clay Lick – Puerto Maldonado – Monte Amazónico Sandoval Lodge. On the second day, we will get up very early to go and visit one of the largest collpas (clay licks) in the world, the Macaw Clay Lick. Along the 1.5-hour trip there, we will see different species of animals, such as the capybara, caiman, tapir, and others.
Once at the collpa, we will see how hundreds of birds come here to eat clay at the walls formed by erosion. According to specialists, some birds display this behavior to supplement their diets and get rid of toxins they may ingest during the day.
After this, we will return to the lodge to eat breakfast and then start the trip back to Puerto Maldonado, where we will take a trip by boat to our next place of lodging, the Monte Amazónico Sandoval Lodge. We will settle into our rooms and have a chance to rest.
After lunch, we will visit Monkey Island, where we will see different species such as Capuchin monkeys and common squirrel monkeys.
At night, we will head out on the boat with our flashlights to observe white caimans on the sand banks of the Madre de Dios River. Here we will also get to observe some capybaras, the world’s largest rodent. Once we are back at the lodge, we will eat dinner and we will be able to rest up for the next day.
Day 3: Lake Sandoval – Return to Puerto Maldonado. We will get up early to eat breakfast and then start a 3-kilometer hike to Lake Sandoval. Here we will take a paddle boat trip, where we will be able to get an even better view of the animals inhabiting the area surrounding the lake, such as birds and different species of monkeys. Also, if we are lucky, we will be able to see some animals that live in the lake, like piranhas and the giant otter. After this adventure, we will return to the lodge to take our things to begin the return to the city of Puerto Maldonado through the Madre de Dios River.