- Price for Macaw Clay Lick (2 days): S/ 449 per person.
- Round-trip from the hotel, airport or bus terminal.
- Round-trip boat ride to lodge.
- Lodging at Monte Amazónico Collpa Chuncho Lodge:
- Private room with private bath.
- Breakfast (except on the first day).
- Dinner (except on the last day).
- Entrance fee to the Tambopata National Reserve.
- Bilingual guide (Spanish and English).
- Drinks at the bar.
- Travel insurance.
- Health coverage.
- Tips (optional).
- Select the departure date on the calendar.
- Select the number of travelers.
- Click on “Add to cart.”
- Pay an advance payment online of a percentage of the total price of the tour.
- Once the payment has been made, the reservation will be subject to confirmation depending on availability. If you would like to find out about availability before making the payment, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 30-liter backpack to carry only what is necessary for the 2-day tour.
- Comfortable clothes.
- Long pants.
- Long-sleeved shirts.
- Rain jacket and pants.
- Rain poncho.
- Hiking shoes.
- Hat to protect against the sun.
- Insect repellent.
- Personal hygiene items.
- Ziploc bags or similar (to wrap up your clothes and prevent them from getting wet if it rains).
- Extra money for expenses not included in the tour.
Start: at 9:00 am at your hotel, airport, or bus terminal in Puerto Maldonado.
End: at 7:00 pm in downtown Puerto Maldonado.
Day 1: Trip to the Tambopata River - Monte Amazónico Collpa Chuncho. We will depart from the city of Puerto Maldonado in our 4x4 vehicle on a 2-hour trip to the Tambopata River. Here, at our point of embarkation, we will cross the river to the Monte Amazónico Collpa Chuncho Lodge, where we will stay for the night. They will give us a brief welcome and we will settle into our rooms and have lunch.
In the afternoon, we will take a hike through the jungle, where we will be able to see different animals in their natural habitat and receive the corresponding information from our guide. Next, we will have the rest of the afternoon free until dinnertime, where we will go over the activities for the next day and then go to sleep.
Day 2: Macaw Clay Lick – Return to Puerto Maldonado. We will start the day very early to go and visit the Macaw Clay Lick. We will take our boat and sail for around 1.5 hours. Along the way, we will see different animals and birds, such as capybaras, caimans, and if we are really lucky, even a jaguar.
We will set up in a spot at the Macaw Clay Lick to see the hundreds of parrots of all different species that come here to practice geophagy, or the eating of clay. According to scientists, this behavior is due to the supplementing of nutrients in these birds’ diet, and also to the detox of certain foods ingested by macaws.
We will then go back to the lodge to eat breakfast and rest. Afterwards, we will take a walk through the botanical garden here, where we will be able to see different plant species while accompanied by a guide, who will tell us about the properties of each one. Then, we will begin the trip back to Puerto Maldonado.