Chuncho Macaw Clay Lick (3 days)
If you cancel your booking until 24 hours before the beginning of the activity, we will refund 100% of the advance you paid for the booking.
You can reschedule your booking without any additional cost until 24 hours before the beginning of the activiity.
Visit the Tambopata National Reserve and the Macaw Clay Lick for 3 days. Transport, lodging, and meals included.
- Price for Macaw Clay Lick (3 days): S/ 989 per person.
- Round-trip from the hotel, airport or bus terminal.
- Round-trip boat ride to lodge.
- Lodging at Monte Amazónico Collpa Chuncho Lodge:
- Private room with private bath.
- Breakfast (except on the first day).
- Lunch (except on the last day).
- Dinner (except on the last day).
- Bilingual guide (Spanish and English).
- Drinks at the bar.
- Travel insurance.
- Health coverage.
- Tips (optional).
- Entrance fee to Collpa Chuncho:
- International visitor: US$ 24 per person.
- Peruvians: S/ 35 per person.
- Children up to 5 years old: free.
How to Book
- Select the departure date from the calendar.
- Select the number of people.
- Click on "Add to cart".
- Pay the full price of the tour online.
What to Bring
- 30-liter backpack to carry only what is necessary for the 3-day tour.
- Comfortable clothes.
- Long pants.
- Long-sleeved shirts.
- Rain jacket and pants.
- Rain poncho.
- Hiking shoes.
- Hat to protect against the sun.
- Insect repellent.
- Personal hygiene items.
- Ziploc bags or similar (to wrap up your clothes and prevent them from getting wet if it rains).
- Extra money for expenses not included in the tour.
Start: at 3:00 am at your hotel, airport, or bus terminal in Puerto Maldonado.
End: at 10:00 am in downtown Puerto Maldonado.
Day 1: Trip to the Tambopata River - Monte Amazónico Collpa Chuncho. We will depart from the city of Puerto Maldonado in our 4x4 vehicle on a 2-hour trip to the Tambopata River. Here, at our point of embarkation, we will cross the river to the Monte Amazónico Collpa Chuncho Lodge, where we will stay for the next two nights. They will give us a brief welcome and we will settle into our rooms and have lunch.
In the afternoon, we will take a hike through the jungle, where we will be able to see different animals in their natural habitat and receive the corresponding information from our guide. Next, we will have the rest of the afternoon free until dinnertime, where we will go over the activities for the next day and then go to sleep.
Day 2: Macaw Clay Lick – Collpa Chuncho – Tambopata River Kayaking. We will start the day very early to go and visit the Macaw Clay Lick. We will take our boat and sail for around 1.5 hours. Along the way, we will see different animals and birds, such as capybaras, caimans, and if we are really lucky, even a jaguar.
We will set up in a spot at the Macaw Clay Lick to see the hundreds of parrots of all different species that come here to practice geophagy, or the eating of clay. According to scientists, this behavior is due to the supplementing of nutrients in these birds’ diet, and also to the detox of certain foods ingested by macaws.
We will then go back to the lodge to eat breakfast and rest. Afterwards, we will take a walk through the botanical garden here, where we will be able to see different plant species while accompanied by a guide, who will tell us about the properties of each one.
After lunch, we will be able to kayak on the Tambopata River, an advantageous place for spotting animals because it is quieter. If we are lucky, we will be able to see some larger animals that inhabit this region.
At night, apart from eating dinner, we will be able to take a nighttime hike to listen to the sounds of the jungle, or just rest.
Day 3: Return to Puerto Maldonado. We will get up to eat breakfast and then take the boat to start our trip back. We will cross the river and then we will continue on in vehicle until arriving at the city of Puerto Maldonado to end our tour.